Ribbon cutting June 6 at Lockmaster House

Error message

  • Warning: array_merge(): Expected parameter 1 to be an array, bool given in _simpleads_render_ajax_template() (line 133 of /home/pdccourier/www/www/sites/all/modules/simpleads/includes/simpleads.helper.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to get property 'settings' of non-object in _simpleads_adgroup_settings() (line 343 of /home/pdccourier/www/www/sites/all/modules/simpleads/includes/simpleads.helper.inc).
  • Warning: array_merge(): Expected parameter 1 to be an array, bool given in _simpleads_render_ajax_template() (line 157 of /home/pdccourier/www/www/sites/all/modules/simpleads/includes/simpleads.helper.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in include() (line 24 of /home/pdccourier/www/www/sites/all/modules/simpleads/templates/simpleads_ajax_call.tpl.php).

The Guttenberg Heritage Society and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, will celebrate the reopening of the historic lockmaster house at Lock and Dam 10 in Guttenberg with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Sunday, June 6, at 3 p.m.

The event will be open to media and the public and will be broadcast on Facebook Live on the Guttenberg Heritage Society’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/guttheritage/.

The lockmaster house has been undergoing rehabilitative work since June 2020. The improvements for visitor safety included removing lead paint; restoring historic characteristics of the house such as a roof replacement, wood siding work, chimney work, and reconditioning the shutters and windows.

“It is important to the Corps to provide a positive and safe experience to those visiting, but we also recognize the need to preserve the historic character of the house,” said Vanessa Alberto, Corps archaeologist. “This house is one of the last remaining lockmaster houses on the river, and it is a symbol of the cultural history and heritage of not only the 1930s Great Depression but the construction of the lock and dam system on the river.”

The lockmaster house was built between 1937 and 1938 and is the last remaining lockmaster residence in its original location on the Mississippi River. From 1938 to 1971, lockmasters were required to live in these houses with their families on lock and dam sites. A lockmaster lived at the Lock and Dam 10 lockmaster house until 1990. The Corps now leases the house to the Guttenberg Heritage Society to operate as a museum.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet